On an expedition to the garage I found a dusty old box of headless Barbie dolls and a shamefully large pile of Disney videos, and decided it was time to divulge in 90’s kids nostalgia! But what really makes a proper 90’s kid? I’ve compiled a list of 10 90’s memories that we’re sure to all admit remembering at one point.
• The Tamagotchi: The cheap plastic mini game that nobody ever really knew how to play properly. We just clicked the buttons and hoped for the best that our pets didn’t die a horrible death of malnourishment.
• Beanie Babies: We weren’t happy until our homes were falling down with them. The overly priced bags of plastic beans shaped into our favourite animals decorated our rooms for years.
• Millennium Babies: Okay, so these little friends didn’t come into our lives until the end of our peak 90’s kids’ days, but the playgrounds were full of them. Covered in dirt and fluff from rolling about the floor, the slimy creatures only brought us sheer disappointment in the end when we realised they were never going to breed.
• Power Rangers: The only reason we got up early on a Sunday morning was to watch our colourful heroes pull Matrix-like moves around suburban car parks. This was the “original” fancy dress outfit which caused decisive battles across the country, as every young boy wanted to shock the crowd by turning up as the Green Ranger.
• The Furbies: Wrecking people’s heads since 1998. Nobody knew exactly what they were and they were at the heart of childhood scientific investigation for years. Was it a hamster or an owl or just a robotic furry freak? However, what we did know was he was ALWAYS called Coco and provided just about enough entertainment to last us until St Stephen’s Day.
• Play Dough: Us nineties kids were the Michaelangelos of play dough architecture. Not only were we able to produce artistic wonders including fry ups and disproportionate animal shapes, but we were the heart and soul of the play dough arms industry and made full use of our squishy balls as weapons.
• The Original Walkman: You weren’t cool or remotely fashionable until you were seen riding the bus to school with a walkman clipped to your hip.
• EVERYTHING Will Smith: He was an inspiration for young boys everywhere and every girl’s childhood sweetheart. The sound of “In West Philadelphia born and raised” filled our lives with joy every tea time.
• (Girls Only) Butterfly Hair Clips: These glittery wonders were the key to our beauty regimes and at every chance we raided Claire’s Accessories for these stylish must haves.
• (Boys Only) The Bowl Haircut: A beauty sensation for years, this little number was sure to impress the ladies on Communion day.
So there we have it, a compilation of every true 90’s kids’ memories!
Pic Credit: Wikimedia Commons