Every week Roisin Peddle takes a look at the stories that made the headlines here at Studenty.me this week…
We put on our mortar-boards here at Studenty Towers this week, which means only one thing… It’s coming towards the end of another academic year and all that much nearer exams. Here are ten to make you laugh and think this Sunday.
1. Speaking of exams, they can’t be avoided. (Unless you’re an Arts student, boom boom). Jane Kearns arms you with the A to Z of exams.
2. Ever get the uncontrollable urge after watching an old movie to google the actors, and find out what they’re doing now? Claire O’Connell has five very tragic reasons why you shouldn’t. I’ll never watch Mary Poppins in the same way again.
3. Mature students? Pah. Those nerds, bright with enthusiasm and questions. A pox on them, I say! Or so I would have said until I read Simon Bourke’s ‘Welcome to the life of a mature student.’ They’re actually human!
4. What’s definitely not human? Zombies. Chloe McMahon has her plan of action for the zombie apocalypse all worked out. Don’t act like you’ve never thought about it.
5. All students have plans for the zombie apocalypse. (It stands to reason, our juicy, nubile brains make us the first segment in society they’d go for). Kathy Armstrong has ten other signs that you’re a student. Four euro wine, Jeremy Kyle, naps and noodles… Truly we are the cream of Ireland.
6. A shocking survey released during the week said that one out of every five Irish kids has heard voices. Something to worry about? Or are we pathologising children’s imaginations, wonders Simon Bourke…
7. The most depressing thing I have ever seen is that Twitter feed where people discover that the Titanic was a real ship, and not just a movie. Yes, it was a real ship, with real Irish connections. I visited Cobh during the week to find out more…
8. The Titanic isn’t the only significant anniversary in 2012. Twenty years ago, in 1992, the Bosnian War started with horrific consequences for all sides. Brian Houlihan remembers Europe’s worst conflict since World War II.
9. 2012 is also an election year for our friends in the States. Republican Mitt Romney looks set to be Barack Obama’s opponent after the withdrawal of Rick Santorum from the race. Ian Colgan reports…
10. Last week, Bubba Watson won a dramatic Masters in Augusta. Studenty’s special guest, Patrick McGettigan, reports on an exciting day of golf. We could tell you what age Patrick is, but it would just depress you.
That’s it from me on another Studenty Sunday. Check out the editorials from Jessica, Tom and Donna. They’re like Studenty Sunday but with less zombie jokes. Gamers will love this week’s Meme Club. An T-Shock Edna Kenny has another special address for us, and we have another Balcony TV review, this time of the wonderful Cali. And join Louise Feaheny’s campaign to adopt an Erasmus!
Til next week, do like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, for more entertainment and news. Have a very Studenty Sunday!